[Community] Fwd: [libsense-discuss] Invitation to join a workshop on open publishing of public health research in Africa.

Omo Oaiya omo.oaiya at wacren.net
Sun Mar 24 13:44:48 UTC 2024

Dear Community,

I want to draw your attention to this LIBSENSE collaboration with PublicHealth.Africa (PHA), the West African Institute of Public Health (WAIPH) and the African Forum for Research and Education in Health (AFREhealth) aimed at promoting the open publishing of public health research in Africa. - https://indico.wacren.net/event/200/

The upcoming webinar, a crucial part of our LIBSENSE collaboration, aims to initiate coordinated efforts to tackle the challenges of making public health research broadly accessible while adhering to ethical and legal constraints. This includes policy formulation and the establishment of infrastructure.

Please share with the targeted audience (librarians (including medical librarians), early career public health researchers and other parties in your networks who may be interested and encourage them to participate in this collective endeavour.

Best regards,

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Dominic Agyei Dankwah <dadankwah at uhas.edu.gh>
> Subject: [libsense-discuss] Invitation to join a workshop on open publishing of public health research in Africa.
> Date: 24 March 2024 at 14:05:03 GMT+1
> To: libsense-discuss at ren.africa
>
> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> You are kindly invited to join a workshop on open publishing of public health research in Africa on April 03, 2024.
>
> Several studies have extolled the merits of open access publishing, particularly for Africa. A scientific investigation by PublicHealth.Africa and LIBSENSE aimed to describe the characteristics of scholarly journals expected to publish articles on public health from a number of African countries found that many African countries have no health journals or only one, with most of these journals not indexed in scholarly search engines, and one-half of the journals levied full Article Processing Charges to be paid by the author or their institution (https://doi.org/10.1629/uksg.605).
>
> Another study on the experiences of African public health researchers, editors and publishers found that there was limited experience of open-access publishing among them, including its benefits. The study also established high demand for training and mentorship programmes to help bridge this gap.
>
> This workshop, is thus, designed to bring stakeholders together to discuss and explore a sustainable open-access publishing ecosystem for public health researchers in Africa. This workshop is looking forward to bringing together librarians, researchers, journal editors, and publishers in public health and related areas in Africa.
>
> Use https://wacren.zoom.us/meeting/register/u5Evcu-qrT0pG9Z50NbqVnBY6k-0ZAD1dELa#/registration to register and find details on the workshop. Kindly share this with others.
>
> Thank you.

> Dominic Agyei Dankwah (PhD)
> Electronic Resources & Training Librarian
> University Library
> University of Health and Allied Sciences, Ho
>
> Jesus is Lord
>
> --

Omo OAIYA
Chief Strategy Officer/Directeur de la Stratégie | WACREN <http://www.wacren.net/>