[Community] Preparing for a Data-Driven Revolution in Liberia

Steve Song stevesong at nsrc.org
Fri Mar 16 11:30:33 GMT 2018

Great point Olivier. Opening up big data from operators could also be
extremely valuable although I put it in a slightly different category from
infrastructure data because of the very high duty of care to ensure that
individual and even group privacy is respected.  Mere anonymisation of the
data is not sufficient as patterns in data can still reveal personally
identifiable information.  It can be done but requires a great deal more
care.  This is something that ResearchICTAfrica (
https://researchictafrica.net) are working on.

You may be aware of the research done by Sean McDonald on the release of
call data records during the Ebola crisis.  Essential reading.
https://cis-india.org/papers/ebola-a-big-data-disaster

Cheers... Steve

--
+1 902 529 0046