[Community] Fwd: [AfricaConnect] NREN-WiT

Omo Oaiya omo at wacren.net
Thu Jul 23 14:56:55 GMT 2015

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
From: Cathrin Stover <Cathrin.Stover at geant.org>
Sent: 23 July 2015 13:07:57 BST
To: "africaconnect at lists.ubuntunet.net" <africaconnect at lists.ubuntunet.net>
Subject: [AfricaConnect] NREN-WiT

Hello Everybody,

Those of you who were at TNC in Porto will know that Diversity and Equality were big topics of discussion. There was a keynote by Avis Yates Rivers on “Unconscious Biases: Addressing Stealth Barriers to Innovation & Productivity” and Ann Harding gave a superb Lightening Talk on Women in R&E Networking. We also held an ad-hoc panel on Women and Equality in our community which was chaired by Nicole Harris and included Ana Hunsinger, Avis Yates Rivers, Ingrid Melve and myself.

This all stimulated discussion and while at TNC, Ann and I called for a lunch time BoF which we held standing outside the venue in the shade. About 20 people attended this BoF. We shared experiences and opinions and took one main decision: to create a mailing list, stay in touch and give ourselves a space to see the level of interest in our community.

As this is all a very collaborative activity, HEAnet volunteered to host the mailing list.

And now the reason for this message: if you wish to be part of the NREN-WiT group, please subscribe to the mailing list at https://listserv.heanet.ie/nren-wit.html The group is open to all – you may have come across the UN´s HeForShe campaign - only through diversity in all groups can we achieve the best results.

Please feel invited!
Thanks
Cathrin

NREN-WiT: The NREN Community Forum supporting Women in Technology – Let´s Engineer Equality True

---------------
Cathrin Stöver
Chief International Relations and Communications Officer
GÉANT - Cambridge Office
T: +44 (0)1223 371336
M: +34 659538702
Skype: cat_stover

Networks • Services • People
Learn more at www.geant.org​<http://www.geant.org/>
​GÉANT is the collective trading name of the GÉANT Association in Amsterdam, NL, and of GEANT Limited in Cambridge, UK

GEANT Limited, trading as GÉANT. Registered in England & Wales. Registration Number 2806796. Registered Office – City House, 126-130 Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 1PQ

--
Omo Oaiya
CTO/Directeur Technique, WACREN